Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Are we all treated equal ?

Before I tell you about the actual stories of people I have helped and the details of their problems and solutions, I would like to review some strategies for women motorists.My wife has been proof reading and editing the book for me. She has told me that even though I have tried to strike a balance in the presentation that I have leaned toward the side of how a man would handle the service situation. So we discussed this at great length and decided to add a section for the female motorist.Service department personnel treat women differently and I don’t want to act like it’s not true when it is true. I wish I could say that automotive repair shops treat everyone the same, but I can’t.Women can be considered easy targets for auto repair rip-offs and scams. Most shops will see a woman as an easy sell because of a lack of automotive knowledge and an increased need for a feeling of safety. This is most definitely one of those situations were women must work harder then men to get the same treatment. Your automotive knowledge base must be very strong and your automotive vocabulary strong as well.Women can win this battle just like men. Go back to last chapter and click on the two links provided for the free educational materials. Learn at your own pace, but take the time to learn the information provided. I will be glad to help in anyway I can. mrg@certifiedmastertech.com My wife tells me that I must provide an alternative method to the kick ass and take names approach that I recommend. She says that women will not be comfortable at getting tough with the hardened career service managers and service writers. The alternative is knowledge about the subject being addressed by the service center. You won’t have to yell or get tough when you know the material being negotiated. When I was on the debate team in high school the women on the debate team had the advantage. This was in most cases due to their superior verbal skills and public speaking confidence. This can be the case as well when negotiating with the shop, but being prepared to debate is the key.

See more about my book on this free auto repair information page

No comments: